Rural social scheme (RSS)
The RSS aims to:
- Provide income support for farmers and fishermen who are currently in receipt of social welfare payments
- Provide services which will benefit the rural community.
The RSS allows low-income farmers and fishermen who are unable to make a living from fishing or farming to earn a supplementary income.
An applicant must be in receipt of Farm Assist or must have a herd or flock number and also be in receipt of one of the following: Unemployment Assistance /Unemployment Benefit (if previously on a Community Employment Scheme) /Disablity Allowance, to take part in this scheme.
All the work undertaken during the RSS will be beneficial to the local community. The types of projects carried out under the RSS are likely to include:
- Village and countryside enhancement projects
- Social care and care of the elderly, community care for both pre-school and after-school groups
- Environmental maintenance work – maintenance and caretaking of community and sporting facilities
- Projects relating to not-for-profit cultural and heritage centres
- Any other appropriate community project identified during the course of the Scheme.
Participants will experience opportunities to improve existing, or develop new skills, and perform valuable work in the community.
An application form may be downloaded here.